With Helen out of town for a few days, tonight saw the revival of an old PB.com tradition; namely, bachelor night. Long time readers know what this means; namely, steak, potatoes, red wine, followed by a couple of Dunhill Peravias and either Port or Wild Turkey's American Honey Liqueur, depending on how hot it is, while watching a sci fi or fantasy DVD.
It was fairly warm tonight by So Calif standards, so it was a night for American Honey Liqueur and an old favorite: The Two Towers-The Extended Version, mainly because I felt like watching the Helm's Deep battle again.
- 1 10 oz. filet mignon, cut in half lengthwise to make 2 steaks approximately ½ to ¾ inch thick (or, if you're me on bachelor night when all bets are off, with neither spouse, personal physician, nor Obama's health cops around to supervise, 2 8 oz filets cut the same)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pam® olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon unsalted organic butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- ½ cup Maker's Mark® bourbon
- ½ cup organic low sodium beef stock
- ¾ cup organic heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- dash Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce®