Paul Caron passes on some sad news:
Tax Prof John (“Jack”) H. McCord (Illinois) died of lung cancer on Wednesday at the age of 76. Please see this moving obituary by his son, Paul, and A Tribute to John H. McCord upon His Retirement, 2000 U. Ill. L. Rev. 741-62:
- Tribute (with a complete bibliography), 2000 U. Ill. L. Rev. 741
- Thomas M. Mengler (Dean, Illinois), A Salute to Professor John H. McCord, 2000 U. Ill. L. Rev. 749
- Charles C. Bingaman (Chapman), Professor John H. McCord: Bridging the Gap Between Law School and Law Practice in Illinois, 2000 U. Ill. L. Rev. 751
- Ora Fred Harris, Jr. (Illinois), Professor John H. McCord: A Marvelous Human Being, 2000 U. Ill. L. Rev. 755
- David Laro (Judge, U.S. Tax Court), Tribute to Professor John McCord, 2000 U. Ill. L. Rev. 757
- Jeffrey G. Sherman (Chicago-Kent), My First-Grade Teacher, 2000 U. Ill. L. Rev. 761
Visitation will be on Sunday (May 22) at Renner-Wikoff Chapel and the funeral on Monday (May 23) at St. Patrick's Catholic Church. See here to sign the guest book or send a sympathy card, private condolences, or flowers. Memorial contributions may be made to St. Patrick's Catholic Church, University of Illinois College of Law or Carle Cancer Clinic.
I remember Jack with great affection from our days as colleagues at Illinois. He was the epitome of scholar and gentleman. Plus, he loved dogs, which formed a bond, as he helped Helen and I get through Sam's trying puppy days.