It seems to me that the best (only?) reason for me to vote for Mitt Romney is to have a Republican picking Supreme Court justices. Well, that and taxes.
So I got to thinking, if Romney makes it to the White House, who would I like to see him appoint to the SCOTUS?
In rough order of preference, I came up with
- Michael McConnell-Super smart. Great on church/state issues. Excellent experience as both judge and academic and litigator.
- Paul Clement-former Solicitor General has great credentials and did a masterful job in losing effort in fight to stop Obamacare.
- Eugene Scalia-No judicial experience, but a seasoned appellate litigator with lots of business experience, and an unmatched string of victories in challenging foolish Obama regulations. Plus, what a great bloodline.
- Brett Kavanaugh--Nobody who generates that much hate on the left can be all bad.
- Eugene Volokh-One of the smartest people I know and an interestingly idosyncratic libertarian whose opinions would be erudite and unique. Realistically, needs a stint on the 9th Circuit for prep.
- Diane Sykes-Circuit court judge and solid conservative record
- Miguel Estrada-He got hosed last time