- Senator Lindsey Graham willing to censor snail mail?
- Secret Service harassing Obama critics?
- NSA tracking phone records?
- IRS focusing on tea party groups?
- Growing use by the FBI of Patriot Act power to inspect business records?
- All the little stuff like TSA groping, red light cameras, speed cameras, surveillance cameras, and so on.
Bush was bad enough, but Obama's not much better and in some ways worse. We seem to be living in a permanent security state that is gradually morphing into something disturbingly authoritarian. And there's data to back it up:
- The Heritage Foundation's latest index of economic freedom reports: "Registering a loss of economic freedom for the fifth consecutive year, the U.S. has recorded its lowest Index score since 2000."
- The Fraser Institute's economic freedom report relates that "the United States saw its global economic freedom ranking drop to 16th out of 144 nations and territories, its lowest-ever showing and a sharp drop from the second overall position in held in 2000."
We're losing the moral high ground to criticize places like Russia and China, as we allow our freedoms to continually erode.